Koala Vet – Part Time
This is your opportunity to work with koalas in a veterinary conservation role, supporting an iconic species to avoid extinction while living and working in a desirable lifestyle location in the NSW Northern Rivers. Pay rate and conditions are in line with the Animal Care and Veterinary Services Award 2010.
- Part-time position, 3-4 days per week (plus on call, shared with other vet staff), weekend work required.
- Must currently be eligible to work as a veterinarian in Australia (visa sponsorship is not available).
- Full-time equivalent remuneration package of up to $80k depending on experience.
Friends of the Koala (FOK) is the lead Koala Conservation organisation in the Northern Rivers NSW region. Operating for over 35 years, we have an established history of working towards positive outcomes for koalas.
We maintain a 24/7 Rescue Hotline and rehabilitate and release sick and injured koalas. We operate a Koala Hospital (triage, treatment, and pathology clinic) and Burribi (education and administration centre) in East Lismore, NSW. We also propagate and sell koala food trees, work with all levels of government, and provide advice to landowners on preserving and extending koala habitat.
We are the first Koala Hospital in the region. We and are equipped with an anaesthetic machine, drip pumps, ultrasound, digital x-ray and are in the process of upgrading our koala hospital and care facility, including the purchase of more equipment.
To ensure koalas receive an exceptional standard of triage and treatment whilst under our care, leading to improved rates of release to the wild.
RESPONSIBILITIES & KEY DUTIES
- Triage koalas upon arrival.
- Administer medications, carry out treatments, medical and surgical procedures as appropriate and in accordance with best practice professional standards.
- Attend emergency call outs and koala rescues where appropriate.
- Take samples and collect data for our current research projects.
- Complete thorough veterinary medical records for each patient.
- Supervise the veterinary nurse and the koala care teams on duty.
- Assist with education and training activities.
- Liaise with carers and members of the public regarding the koalas in our care.
- Undertake media duties when necessary.
- Eligible for veterinary registration in NSW and have unrestricted rights to work in Australia (visa sponsorship is not available).
- Experience with wildlife medicine and surgery (previous koala work preferable).
- Knowledge and understanding of the key elements of the Code of Practice for injured, sick, and orphaned koalas.
- Be able to work sole charge.
- Communicate in a friendly and effective manner with key contacts including the media, other staff, volunteers, external local community groups and associated veterinary contacts.
- A professional approach to duties and standard of personal presentation.
- Must hold a current driver’s licence.
- Flexible, cooperative, and positive attitude.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills.
- Emergency and critical care experience.
- Orthopaedic surgical skills.
HOW TO APPLY
Your application should include a resume with contact details for two professional referees and a cover letter (3 pages maximum) outlining how you your skills and experience meet the selection criteria for the role.
Please email PDF copies of your application documents to firstname.lastname@example.org, by 4pm on Thursday December 17. We will be reviewing applications as they come in so please do not wait till just before due date to submit your application.